Introduction: How I Became Addicted


The photo for my business profile: Ultan O'Cinnéide Photography

  As the blog would lead you to believe, my name is Ultan O'Cinnéide. I'm a 26 year old father, drama teacher, photographer, videographer, student, and musician trying to fit as much of the things that I love in to every day. These are all things that I have become so passionate about, with the list continuously growing. The best news that I have heard in my Creative Digital Media college course is that employers are now looking for candidates skilled in many different fields. While I expect to be proficient in certain areas, I want as vast a knowledge as possible about as many things in the creative media field. Employability is a fortunate and welcome bonus, but I'm so invested because I love it.

  I left a job as a Production Supervisor in a factory to be a stay-at-home Dad, and had the best time with my first child. Having so much time with him was a blessing, and a time of my life and his that I'm eternally grateful to have had. But the more side jobs I did in the fields of photo and video, the more obsessed I became. Honing my skills in composition, execution, lighting, and editing became an obsession. I have been to the ends of YouTube looking for the best tutorials, and I've made some terrible content along the way. But that was on the way to making my best content.



  One day, I was having a coffee with a friend of mine who was going in to his fourth and final year in his Drama and Theatre Studies course. We were talking in depth about various acting methods and different techniques developed over the years, and I was overwhelmed by his vast knowledge. I didn't know as much about anything as he knew about his passion. I needed that. In that moment I decided to finally get a proper education.

I still get plenty of time with my son, and I've a second child on the way. Right now it's unfathomable; two children? Impossible... But I couldn't be more excited. Like everything else in life, I will take it in my stride and adapt. That is what has gotten me this far.

"Can you photograph this?"
Yes I can. Let me just intensely research and practise to make sure. Job done.

"Can you video this?" 
 Yes I can. Let me just intensely research and practise to make sure. Job done.

I could go on. Web design, graphic design, sound design... Give me the work and I will give you a good result. I can't help it.

I'm addicted.

- Ultan

Comments

  1. Hey Ultan I really liked reading your blog, I love the images you added above they are great, I love the bottom left one its really cool! Congrats on your second kid :)
    The layout of your blog is really cool and done out very well

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ultan!

    From reading your blog I think it's clear to see you're very talented and I think it's great that you are trying to achieve the best out of your abilities. I love the images that you have added as they're all such different styles and are overall really impressive.

    I really like the background story you gave as to why you chose to pursue college. Speaking to someone with much more knowledge about a subject is definitely a good way to gain that type of motivation.

    Also, congratulations on your second kid!

    -Dylan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Howdy Ultan,

    This blog was quite the read and I mean that in a good way. Your skill set so impressive! (Are you human?) And your passion for your work is really something to admire. And the fact you do all this stuff while looking after your son is amazing. (Good luck with the new on the way) I hope this year goes well for you and I look forward to reading more of your blogs. :)

    -Nathan Harte

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well a good day to you Ultan.

    I must say that I did very much learn about all the things that you run or involved with and the way of balancing an education and being a dad is very impressive and the true emphasis of Super-Dad. I think that your photography skills are excellent as well and that they really give an emphasis on the world around us, with the use of colour, lighting and positioning and the subject matter of the imagery. Also on your concept of your stuff from the past with the Youtube and what not, it is some really nice stuff that you have made as i came across some of the pieces a couple of months ago.

    My hat goes off to you and I look forward to reading more of your blogs.
    Cheerio!!
    -Sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey Ultan,
    I really enjoyed reading your blog nice to see you are doing so many things that you love I am very impressed that you do so many things and also balance them on top of being a dad very inspiring I also really love your photographs I myself really like photography as well but it is just a hobby for now I hope to read more of your blogs soon.

    -jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Ultan,
    I really enjoyed reading this post and its really inspiring how much work you put into all the things you do in life, from work to your home life, and how much you enjoy putting the work in. Its clear from the images you put up that all that extra work really pays off as they are great quality photos.
    -Casper :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI Ultan,

    I actually had no idea that you left your job in a factory to be a stay at home dad, you learn something new everyday! I've seen so much of your work, everything from photography to video and graphic design and honestly you are such as inspiration to our entire year. seeing your passion and drive really makes me want to work as hard as I can to do my best as well!

    Thank you for the inspiration
    -Alex

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heya Ultan!
    Just read your blog and firstly, you said that employers are looking for people with a wide range skills. That really puts my mind at ease because I still don't know what I want out of this course!
    It was really nice of you to quit your job and become a stay at home dad! Break the stereotypes and all that. Also the fact that you research everything very deeply is a good thing! I mean, it might be time consuming but it's a good thing anyway.
    See ya on Tuesday in college :P
    -Pawel

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ultan,

    I never knew you were a drama teacher and a musician. What instrument do you play? I’d say you must be kept busy with all of the things you are doing. Did you find learning from YouTube videos could only get you so far with certain things you were trying to learn? Do you get much people approaching you for photography work?

    I look forward to reading your future blogs.

    -Ciaran

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ultan

    I just read your blog and loved it. I have always wanted to get around to learning Guitar as I actually have a epiphone acoustic currently collecting dust in my room at the moment I really need to get around to learning it. I gotta say man I am shocked at the variety of skills you have acquired over the years from acting , to music to even such a vast number of different styles for photography all while also having to look after your family also . I honestly gotta say fair play man its honestly refreshing to hear how passionate and proud you are about all these accomplishments that are in your life and I hope it never changes. I am only now getting into photography since I bought my camera last year and enjoy doing it as a hobby in my free time, well when I have it.

    I loved reading this blog and cant wait to read more in the future.

    -Dillon

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Ultan,

    I really enjoyed reading this blog and learning more about you. It sounds like you have a pretty busy life! I'm really impressed with how well you manage it all. I think it's really cool that you're a drama teacher! Where do you teach? WHat instrument do you play? The photographs you have attached to this blog are amazing! Well done. I look forward to reading more of your blogs. Best of luck with this rest of the semester.

    -LM

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Alpha

Game Design: What is it?