Remembering My Favourite Game

Artwork of Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage (North America). Known as Spyro 2: Gateway to Glimmer in all other regions. Image from Flickr

While there are many games that I could put forward as my favourite, playing Spyro 2 was the first time I ever experienced a game that I truly loved. Simple platforming mechanics combined with numerous diverse worlds make for a light hearted, enjoyable play through.

Collecting Talismans from each world is the main objective for the first two thirds of the game. The player must make their way through each world facing various opponents and platforming challenges, while collecting as many gems (currency) and orbs (secondary collectibles) as they can. There are three hub worlds that you progress through after achieving certain milestones eg. collecting 10 Talismans. You can gain new abilities in these hub worlds that allow you to complete challenges in the worlds coming up, and in some worlds you've already played through. This gives a great sense of progression, and gives incentive to go back to previously visited levels to complete them wholly.

Cover Art of the original Spyro The Dragon on PS1. Image from Flickr

There are many more complex games that I have enjoyed enough to consider a favourite, but Spyro 2 is an example of a fantastic game that excels from it's simplicity. I have completed this game 100% several times and still find myself going back for more.

- Ultan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction: How I Became Addicted

Alpha

Game Design: What is it?