Game Design Document


Artwork that I feel captures Inferno Lair perfectly
Source: UHD Paper

This week, I drew up a Game Design Document for Inferno Lair, my top down Action / Adventure RPG. I used Dundoc for this task, which was a major help and time saver. Having the templates there to guide me kept me on track, and made me aware of all of the design choices I had to consider.

Inferno Lair has already become a more refined, better planned game than it was before I started this document. I realised some features that did not need to be there at all, and also some features that I didn't consider that definitely SHOULD be there.

Link To Dundoc GDD: Inferno Lair

As I was considering how my game would be created, I started downloading more Unity Asset packs. Character models, SFX, weapons and armour etc. All things that I knew I needed, but writing this document made it feel like the time was getting near to start actually building it. I've been looking into the coding behind the combat and looting systems that I hope to implement. I believe that it will be challenging, but achievable.

I feel like Inferno Lair is getting closer to becoming an actual game. The progress this week has been exciting.

- Ultan

Comments

  1. Hey Ultan,

    I am very surprised that you are aware and have a pretty good idea of how you want your game to look like because it is still very early in the game making process but from what I read on your blog the game seems to be very interesting. I just want to ask Is there a leveling system of some sort because that would be cool and make people want to progress more. I suggest that you should make some rare texture types to put on the weapon which would make it pop out and keep it unique and fresh. That is all I have in hopes or ideas for your game but I am really looking forward to seeing how it turns out because I feel like it will come out great and you can do what you put your mind towards.

    ~~David

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ultan
    This game design document is put together. I like the idea for the game it sounds fun. This is a very ambitious idea. I like the idea of having the game as top down action game. This type of game is a good way to male an RPG and make it fun. I also like how you can choose different characters like warrior and rouge.
    Have you consider adding more types of playable characters since there is lots of fantasy type characters to play as in game like this. Could also add some type current to the game so the players can buy certain items.
    I’m a bit confused about how the open world will work in this game and big the map of the game will be and what stuff will be in the world and how it works.
    Overall, I like this GDD and I think this game can work.
    Jamie Gannon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ultan

    I loved reading about your game design in this document and I like that you have been downloading more asset packs for more unique options to add to your game such as character models, weapons and armors as I feel this will make the finished piece stand out way better in the long run. I was curious did you consider adding more playable character types or weapons to possibly add more unique unlockables in the game giving the player more incentive to play in order to unlock unique loot to stand out from other players. Another thing I was curious if you considered was adding some of these weapons and armors as quest items in order to complete certain levels.

    I overall loved reading about your game design ideas in this GDD and feel this game has great potential overall. Best of luck in the coming weeks .I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

    -Dillon Eagers

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction: How I Became Addicted

Alpha

Game Design: What is it?