Game Idea Research

The D20 system from Dungeons and Dragons
Source: Wikipedia

  Last week I started brainstorming potential video game ideas that I could make in Unity 3D. I have decided to continue researching my Dungeon Crawler RPG.

  Some game mechanics that I have decided I would like are:

- A Cursor

  I like the idea of a point and click style of gameplay. When objects in the game world are hovered over, they will be highlighted, and can be interacted with by clicking on them. This may be used for doors, NPC's, treasure chests, and enemies. Clicking on an enemy would engage in combat.

- An Inventory

  Many RPG's have collectible weapons, armour and items. To be able to collect them, one needs an inventory. I would have a simple inventory that displays as either a grid or a list with a preview of the item.

- Attacks

  As I would plan to have enemies in my game, I would need to have a fighting system. This would go along with my cursor mechanic. When an enemy is clicked on, they are engaged in combat. Attacks would be executed in a real time turn based format. A basic attack move would be automatically used if the player chooses no other action. There would be a limited number of moves to choose from based on the players class and level. I may need to take into account random number generation to implement this style of fighting. Alternatively, I could make it so that most attacks to the same amount of damage, but increase the players health alongside the enemies as they progress to scale difficulty.

These are three seemingly simple mechanics, however I feel like they may be difficult enough to implement well. I have found one example of a similar kind of game created in Unity 3D that contains these mechanics.

Dungeon by Game Development Club


- Ultan

Comments

  1. well a good day to you Ultan.

    I must say that I really like your concept of a game idea in general as I feel that the concept of RPG's are under-appreciated in the modern day of gaming and I think that it is time for it to make a return and a triumphant one at that. I love to see that you are bringing it back to the classic of gaining weapons, items and going on epic quests in the wondrous land that you are creating for your game. I also think that the world's created in RPG's are so very interesting and all the wacky and colourful characters that come with them. I look forward to seeing how it all works out in the end.

    Cheerio!!
    -Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ultan
    I loved reading your game idea concepts , as I love RPG type games. Titles such as the fallout franchise and the borderlands franchise to name a few. That is why I really enjoyed reading that you are hoping to add an inventory option to your game because growing up playing these types of games I was always trying to collect unique items and feel that they honestly add more variety and replay ability to the players . I am looking forward to seeing how your game progresses in the future and wish you all the best with making it.

    Dillon

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction: How I Became Addicted

Alpha

Game Design: What is it?