First Playable Demo

  Who would have known that game development could be so hard?

  Oh right, literally everyone.

  So this week I attempted to get my first playable level up and running. I did a lot of work this week, and a lot of trial and error - mostly error. A lot of time was spent trying to combine two types of character controller - WASD and Point and Click. As I explained in a previous post, the only way I could get Point and Click to work was by implementing Click to Move rather than WASD. I tried to combine C# codes and amalgamate the two, but to no avail. My character and controller have been completely stripped back to basics, and I am going forward with a Click to Move control scheme.

  Another change I have made is an active camera. Originally I planned to have a static camera that did not move or rotate, just simply followed the player from one position. I found that the player would get lost behind buildings and other assets quite easily, and I found that the active camera suited the game much better.

  I have applied my desired aesthetic and I'm very pleased with the results. I am confident that my game can look the way I want it to - now to make sure that it plays the way I want it to. You know, the important stuff.

It's gonna do stuff soon, I swear!

  I have managed to implement interactivity into the game. The player clicks on an interactive object, and the character focuses on it, tracks it and moves to that position - even if the position moves. This will be useful for locking on to enemies.

  Admittedly, I am a bit further behind than I would like to be at the minute, but that's not for lack of trying. I genuinely feel that I have learned so much more trying some difficult tasks on my own initiative than I would have just following one other persons method. Even though I did not get the results, I am much more versed in Unity, C#, and game design and development than I was before.

  Setbacks and all, I'm still confident that I can deliver a well rounded, enjoyable game.

- Ultan

Comments

  1. Hello Ultan, I have just read through your game's first playable and I must say I really enjoyed getting to see how your game looks so far. I'm sorry to hear you are behind on your game than you wanted to be. I think its personally really cool that you have been able to incorporate point and click controls to your own game. I think regarding the camera, it might be easier to make the camera continually follow the player. Not from one position, but rather having the camera follow the player continuously as you control them. There are tutorials online regarding attaching a camera to the player character so they may be worth watching and could fix your problems. I like the object interaction idea, will object interaction be a large part of the overall game or is it just a subpoint to the game that merely offers small game value or is it a key game opponent that will be crucial to the game? Like I said, I hope your game goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ultan,
    Seems like a lot of people are having similar struggles so do not worry about it too much you have some time to figure it all out but overall your game looks really good I am very impressed your overall game design is brilliant and it looks like you have put a lot of effort into it I know the struggle with c script its really hard to get the hang. Nice to see you are learning a lot even if you are having some difficulties. Also I really like that you have implemented interactivity into the game I really like that your player can click on an interactive object and the character can focus, track it and move its position. Overall your game design looks brilliant and I know you still need to add some other stuff into it but so far looks like you are fine anyway I will leave it there hope to read more about your game soon.
    -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. well a good day to you Ultan.

    Well, well, well I am glad to see that your game concept is shaping out to be really interesting ( I mean it is looking better then mine does at the moment). If I were to ask one question with your game that you have been building very well here and proving that you have the knowledge but where did you find this C# script for the camera cause it may be the style of camera placement that I want to implement into my own game. I would give you some extra bit of help if I could if I had any but I know that you have it all laid out and seem to be on the right direction. I wish you the best of luck with your really great game concept that it reaches a level of satisfaction that you hoping to reach.

    Cheerio!!!
    -Sam

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction: How I Became Addicted

Alpha

Game Design: What is it?