Unity Free Tutorial

This is what my computer may as well have been doing
Image Source: Wikimedia
  This week, I am completing tutorials that suit my specific game. I have already used several tutorials thus far, although I can’t recall exactly which ones. At this point, I am skimming several different videos looking for the information that I need and then moving on to the next one. The toughest part is getting different codes to work in tandem with one another. My initial plan was to control the player character using WASD, and have a mouse cursor to interact with objects and characters in the game world. However, it seems as though I will have to choose between click to move as well as interact, or using the keyboard to do both. I’m sure there is a way of doing what I want, but I am unable to find out how.

Tracking Camera

This is a video by Brackeys - a developer who’s work has helped my own quite a bit. I was able to use this tutorial to get the main camera to smoothly follow the Player, keeping them dead centre.

Low Poly World Creation

I knew how to make a high resolution, realistic looking terrain, but that was not the art style that I was going for. I wanted a low res, low poly world, with a cartoon feel about it. It is a style that I enjoy, and it is more manageable in my opinion, and has many free assets available on the store. This tutorial goes into detail about how to make a low poly world, and even adds some LUTs and effects to create a truly stunning scene.

Interaction

Here is where I am running into difficulty. This code adds on to the ‘click to move’ movement code. So far I have been trying to integrate it into the WASD code that I am already using, but to no avail so far. I know that I need to use Ray Tracing to achieve it, but I cannot get the two to work together. I will continue to try for a little longer, but I may have to reconsider my control options. If it comes to it, I will use the click to move code that works with this interaction method.

Clickable UI

This is a tutorial that I have admittedly not gotten to yet. Unfortunately my issues with the player controller set me back somewhat. However, this is the exact UI that I am hoping to use. Having watched the video, I believe that I can get the code to work with my other codes.

All in all, things are going well. The setback cost me several hours this week, but rather than viewing it as a wasted day of work, I am considering it to be a major learning curve that has drastically increased my understanding of the software and the C# programming language. I thoroughly enjoyed the hours that I poured into trying to figure the code out. There were times when I came close; I could move with both WASD and the cursor, but it was very glitchy. Still, I had managed to try out my own approach to solve the problem, rather than following a tutorial. Even though at the end of the day I had nothing to physically show for my hard work, I consider that day to be my best progress so far.

- Ultan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction: How I Became Addicted

Alpha

Game Design: What is it?