Unity Tutorial 05

  This week in Unity, I am continuing to follow Jimmy Vegas' Cobalt Series. I picked up from where I left off last time, with my axe in hand.

  The first thing I did with Jimmy was to change the skybox. I hadn’t given too much thought to this, but as soon as he mentioned changing it, I knew it needed to be done. I used the New Dawn skybox, and used an orange colour overlay on it to give the lighting a sunrise feel. Jimmy went over some other things that can be done using intensity and the directional light. I saw him put the Lighting Source on the player character, so that the world lights up when the character gets close. This would be a good feature in a dark horror or survival game where the player needs a torch to see.

  Next, I added a wind zone to my world. This adds an element of movement to the trees in the world. There were variables to change here such as turbulence and main wind, but i found that keeping these low down was the best way for a more realistic look.

  Following this, I added fade in and fade out animations to the UI. This was a simple enough feature to add, using just a black screen and animating the opacity to zero over one second. This makes it so that when play is pressed, there is a fade in to the game. I did the reverse to make the fade out, which may come in handy for transitioning between locations or levels, or when the player dies.

  One of my favourite features of this week was adding a pick up axe function. This saw the axe that I made last week go into the over world, and allow for it to be picked up. There were a few pieces to adding this bit of gameplay. I first placed a duplicate of the axe into a nearby tree. I noticed that the clipping mask layer was still on, meaning that no matter what was in front of it, the axe was always visible, even through walls and trees. I turned this off and added some scripting to make a pick up axe dialogue when the cursor hovers over it. I removed the axe in the character’s hand so that it was not visible until the axe in the world is picked up. I also had to modify some scripts to make sure the player can’t swing the invisible axe before they pick it up.

  The last thing I did was add some shrubs, bushes and a house to my world. This seemed to be a basic step, but I enjoyed adjusting the variables to make it look a certain kind of way. It showed me that a lot of different things can be done with the one asset.

Some shrubs I added, and an... interesting tree texture

  I really enjoyed this week once again!

- Ultan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction: How I Became Addicted

Alpha

Game Design: What is it?