Review Week Comments and Feedback

This is where suggestions can go... Not really, I'm quite receptive
Image Source: iStockPhoto


  Looking back on some of the feedback I have received on my game design, there are a lot of useful comments that I shall take on board. The quality of the feedback is quite high, and it varies from positive feedback to constructive. There have been no unnecessary negative comments, or unhelpful advice. The comments I find most useful are the ones that pose questions. They ask about aspects that they are unsure of, or would like more clarification on. These questions make me stop and think through the area that has been queried. Occasionally, it will be something I hadn't given any thought to, but should have. Other times it may be a suggestion on features that could be added, or ways to approach designing. The hardest feedback to give was when there was little or no content to discuss. It could be tough to find positives to laud, and tougher again to think of any suggestions when there is not a lot to go on.

  I believe that the feedback I have given to others has been helpful, and I have received some comments that have said as much. I try to really read in to what the writer is having trouble with, or find any discrepancies or gaps in their plan. This is not to point out the flaws for the sake of it, it is to try and help them catch any errors at an early stage so they do not become a larger issue later on. I also try to come up with suggestions that they may not have thought of. I find that this works largely like collaboration. Sometimes all you need is someone else's perspective on something to launch a whole new set of fresh ideas. While my contribution would not be creditable in the game, it may just help spark something great in the author. I try to point out positives in their posts too, and phrase the suggestions and feedback constructively, to boost motivation and morale rather than assault it.

  I was surprised at how much I learned about other people from reading their bogs. There were a lot of interesting things that I did not know about people I see daily, and some of the motivations that drive people were truly inspiring. Similarly, I feel that people were able to get to know me a bit better from my own Introduction blog post. It acts similarly to a blurb on the back of a book, where people can get an idea of the contents in just a few paragraphs.

  Overall, I am happy with both given and received feedback. I think everyone has learned a lot on how to make sure that feedback is constructive. My blog is looking the way I want it to. I edited it early on to make it work for my style, and I think that it is approachable and professional. The dark colour theme is trending at the moment, and the layout makes separate posts distinguishable and easy to read.

- Ultan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction: How I Became Addicted

Alpha

Game Design: What is it?