Prototype

  This week, I have continued on to the prototyping stage of my game design. It was a daunting task at first - I honestly didn't know where to begin. But as I've learned from other tasks this year, it's all about breaking the big tasks down into smaller ones. I began by sketching some of my level designs.




Level Designs for the villages in Inferno Lair

  I decided to get started in Unity, as I had a feeling it would be more of a challenge than just opening the software and everything going swimmingly... I was right.

  I immediately forgot how to do all of the things I learned in the Jimmy Vegas tutorials, so had to spend some time brushing up on my skills. I started by creating my terrain, and just as I thought I had it perfect, I realised I had created it far too big. When I started bringing in assets I realised that they were miniature compared to my giant landscape. However, I rallied and made some decent progress from there.

An early iteration of my first game village

  I tested out some assets such as trees, carts, barrels and houses, and integrated them into the village design. The texture I have used so far in my terrain are not indicative of the final art style. I will be implementing a low poly style to the terrains, which will match the assets that I am using. 

  A big achievement for me was adding a third person controller, and syncing an overhead camera to follow the character smoothly. I used this tutorial to achieve this.

This is the camera angle during play
  My schedule has been knocked back a little bit. The actual implementation of all of my ideas is somewhat more difficult than I had accounted for. Depending on how this coming week goes, I may have to downsize the scale of the game world to make sure I have time to focus on mechanics and gameplay.

Comments

  1. Hello there Ultan!
    I've found myself once again reading your blog and keeping up with your game. I'm very impressed with how much time and effort you have put into your game and ideas. Your blog is very neat and I found it so easy to keep up with everything. I'm loving the look of your village, even though you said that it's an early iteration , it still looks very impressive. You seem to be really enjoying your process to making your game which is great to see. I also felt the same about my ideas being more difficult than i had accounted for, it's something every game designer would and will face when their making a game so I wouldn't sweat about that at all, anyway loved reading your blog and will be keeping an eye out on your work over the next few weeks.
    Cya soon
    Aaron Hogan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heya Ultan!
    Excuse my language but holy shit, that is looking good!
    I'm really looking forward to seeing your game finished (spoiler: it's probably gonna be the best one in the year).
    Thanks for linking the third person camera tutorial I will likely use it myself for my own game!
    I need to ask, you said it's low poly, but how low are we speaking? Will it be similar looking to, say, a PS1 game? Again, looking forward to seeing it finished!
    -Pawel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Howdy Ultan,
    Good heavens, this looks incredible! Seriously, great work so far on this! I really like your process like drawing out the layout in graph paper. That's a really good way to plan things out. So far your game world looks great, though I know it's still a work in progress. And don't worry. I too forget a lot of the things I learnt from the Jimmy Vegas videos. But I think it is working out well for you. The assets you're using look really good as well. I'm curious though, everything looks rather dark, especially the ground. Is this a stylized choice or are you still figuring out the colors and such? If there is one thing I would have to critique, it's the trees. They look a bit low poly and class with everything else in the game world. But over all it looks great and I can't wait to play it in the future!
    -Nathan Harte

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heeeeeey Ultan!
    i still love learning about your game! your use of low-poly assets actually helped me in my own game design as I didn't even know they were a thing, so tanks for that.Also thank you for the tutorial that is one of the thing that has really bogged me down this week.
    How big will your landscape actually be, will there be free space for the character to roam around?

    Good luck with the game
    -Alex

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction: How I Became Addicted

Alpha

Game Design: What is it?